Postnatal water floatation at the Baby Spa was established in 2005 and is more than just a comforting experience; it’s also a groundbreaking developmental technique, which along with our professional massage offers numerous physical and emotional benefits for neonates and young babies.
Your baby’s brain and muscles grow with use…
Hydrotherapy (flotation and exercise in water) supports the mental and physical development so essential to your baby’s ability to move with control, and act with purpose on land.
The more your baby can use his or her brain and muscles the stronger they will grow. At the Baby Spa, your baby will find the freedom and space he or she needs to progress and, most importantly, have fun as they learn at their own pace.
Time in the water is always time well spent…
As your baby kicks around in the water at Baby Spa, the small rocking waves they create will help to improve their balance and coordination and, ultimately, support their ability to crawl, walk and swim. Even if your baby falls asleep in the water that rocking will continue with his/her rhythmic breathing.
The sensation of floating in warm water puts babies completely at ease and can promotes a number of key benefits:
- Muscular and skeletal strength is increased through the water’s gentle resistance.
- Movement through the water has a positive effect on the digestive and circulatory systems, which reduces meconium levels and lowers risk of jaundice three or four days after birth.
- Subtle water pressure on the chest increases lung capacity by strengthening intercostal muscles and the respiratory system.
- Regular sessions benefit the cardiovascular system, improving return of blood flow to the heart.
- Innate balance swimming reflexes are stimulated and developed as well as mind-awareness and co-ordination allowing babies to control their movements and direction.
Massage teaches positive loving touch…
As your baby transitions from life in the womb to the outside world, gentle touch through massage can help them to feel loved, respected and secure. It can also help with initial communication and understanding between child and parent, as baby develops their first language: touch.
A healthy mind and body…
Baby massage offers numerous health benefits:
- Promoting relaxation, it can help increase the quality of your baby’s sleep, reduce fussiness and discomfort from colic, wind, constipation and growth spurts and ease the pain of teething and tense muscles as baby develops.
- Boosting the flow of blood around the body, massage helps to regulate and strengthen your baby’s digestive and respiratory systems and stimulate their nervous system and circulation.
- Our pure massage oil is also specially chosen to moisturise your baby’s skin. Being unscented it will not upset a new baby or interfere with the recognition of mum or dad’s smells that will have been established.
- For mum, baby massage can promote lactation for breastfeeding and the nurturing instinct (through the stimulation of hormones) and also help, if needed, with post-natal depression.
Mums, Dads and Carers get benefits too…
The Baby Spa is a place where parents, carers and baby can relax together. Parents enjoy meeting and supporting others in very similar situations to their own, and as they share and exchange views, there is encouragement and growth.
Here you can grow in confidence in your new role and learn how to ensure a lifetime of fun and safe adventures in the water for your child.
Through observation, you’ll be able to copy our massage techniques at home and continue to strengthen your relationship with your baby as they grow.